Solids, liquids, and Gases

Friends~Today we made models of solid, liquid, and gas atoms.  It was soooo much fun!  My kiddos totally got it thanks to these fun hands on lessons below!  

We started off by reading What is the World Made of? by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld.  It is a great book that explains the states of matter.  Give it a click to read about it on Amazon. 
My goal after reading was for my students to be able to understand how the atoms in the 3 states of matter move.  I gave my students a sheet that included a diagram of solids, liquids, and gases.  I grabbed the one below from Middle School Chemistry.  

I had my students cut it into squares.  We stacked them up like playing cards and I had them draw from the deck.  They met with students with matching cards and modeled.  Check them out below!  This group was a group of solid atoms sitting closely together not moving. 
We even made models of each form of matter!  I grabbed some large bags of Fruit loops and small snack bags.  We added our diagrams to each bag and created models using the Fruit loops as atoms.  
Once we finished our models, we headed up front to listen to this fun matter song. 

I had them hold their bags up each time one of the states of matter was mentioned. They did an amazing job and their excitement for science was awesome! 
You can check out some more matter fun by clicking on my matter unit below!
  


What is your favorite matter science activity?



 photo signature-39.png

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!