Bright Idea: Doorbells in the Classroom

Friends~Welcome to our July Bright Ideas Linky!  I am just getting myself up from my summer slumber and thinking about school. 
I am moving schools and grade levels this year so I have a ton to do!  This year,  I will be heading back to one of my favorite grades...FIRST!  I am super duper excited about it!


Today,  I am going to share one of my surprises for my sweet firsties!  DOORBELLS in the Classroom.  Yep!
I use a doorbell for all sorts of things.  Check out some of my fun ideas below.   
(I love the cute classroom door from ScrappinDoodles!)
The Schroeder Page

First, head to your local Home Depot or Lowes and grab a plug in doorbell. They are around $15 but are totally worth it. 
The Schroeder Page

Second, find a place to hide your button.  I like my kiddos to have no idea how the doorbell works.  
Here are some of the places I have hidden mine in the past: in my desk, the back of my office door, my apron pocket, behind my file cabinet.  The possibilities are endless. 

Once I have it up and running, here are some of the ways I use it.
~ A simple ATTENTION getter.  Just push the button and once the chime stops my kiddos look at me and respond with," Hello?" (It is hysterical!)
~Add some review questions to a pocket by the door. When you ring the doorbell, have them freeze and raise their hands.  Choose a student to ANSWER IT by heading to the door and choosing a question. 
The Schroeder Page
~Ring the doorbell and tell students that once the CHIME is over, they must be in their seats. 
 Use it as a CELEBRATION!  When a students does a great job, hit the chime!
~Use it as a TIMER to show that time is up on an assignment or center.  
 ~Place the doorbell button outside when you are expecting a special VISITOR

I sure hope you found some ways to use a doorbell in your classroom.  I love keeping my kiddos guessing at what I will do next.  Doorbells are a perfect way to mix things up in your room!
The Schroeder Page
Be sure to check out more Bright Ideas in the fun Linky Party below.  You are sure to find something special for your classroom!
   
   


No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!