Working with Words: Ideas and Freebies!

Friend~My very favorite center in class is our Working with Words center.  It is so easy to make this center hands on and engaging.  My kiddos always flock to this center.  Check out a video tour of just a few of my favorite activities!

I use this center as part of my Daily Five rotation.  My students head into this center to practice their spelling and sight words.  I was lucky enough to find the tub storage at the Goodwill super cheap and it is perfect to store my activities in.  I also keep a cupboard full of other items so that I can rotate the choices.  I added the labels with Velcro so that I can switch the labels.
More favs!  
This is our Cell Phone Center.  I asked my parents to send in any old cell phones that they had laying around at home.  My students then use a copy of a phone to spell their words.   They record the # code that they need to spell the word.  It is a fun challenge for them!
Download a FREE copy of this center sheet by clicking the image below.


These Write and Wipe Pockets work perfectly with this center.  I just copy a set of 6 and add them to the pockets.  They use a dry erase marker and wipe with a tissue or eraser.  
Click the image to get a set for your room at a great price from Amazon!

Another favorite is SHAVING Cream!  My team thinks I am crazy for allowing my students to do this but I promise if you train them what a dollop looks like and that they need to work until it is gone- you will be in good shape. 
Here is the dollop:)  A good idea would be to take a picture of how big the dollop should be for your students to use as an example.  I tell them about the size of an egg.


Be sure to download my 10 page Making Words Freebie over on my Facebook Page.  All you have to do is like my page and then head to the Facebook Freebie on the left sidebar. 
You will find 6 Working With Words sheets to add to your center!
Working WIth Words Freebie: The Schroeder Page
I also allow my students to work on the computer with a variety of activities.
Here are some of my favorite links for my students. 
(I love that they can also work on these links at home!)

Microsoft Word-Type your words in Microsoft Word and change the font and color.
Consonants BLUE and Vowels RED!

Just to add some more technology to the mix, I grabbed a few used DS gamers from friends and added this Spelling Bee Game from Scribbs.  It is a total hit.  You can input your spelling words!
They are still pretty pricey but if you are interested in grabbing one for your classroom here is a link on Amazon:)
I sure hope you find some fun ways to add to your Working With Words center!

Add your student's favorites in the comment section of this file!
Photobucket

No comments

Post a Comment

Extra, extra tell Mrs. Schroeder about it!